Sewing

Ivy cap research

Did not like the steep arc on the pattern I found.  Tore apart one of my old hats, similar to the tan one in my prior posting on hats and compared the pattern to the hat proportions I liked.

The brim pieces are 2 different sizes.  The first two pictures are of one piece.  Quite different.  The third picture shows the other piece that almost matches the pattern.

 

The side piece is VERY different.

And the corresponding changes in the top piece.  The back part is longer, to match the sharper and longer curve of the prior piece.

I’m planning on on creating a new pattern from the hat parts and build a second test hat.

I also found another free pattern at Urbandon.  The arc looks like it’s also pretty steep, but there is nice information on sizing, fabric and construction.

Ivy/Driver’s cap – 1st attempt

Finally found a pattern I liked for a Driving cap. (https://aboutgoodness.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/mens-flat-cap-gatsby-hat-pattern-diy-tutorial/)  Took some scrap cloth and threw one together.  I was not particularly precise, nor did I have fabric for a lining or a ribbon to finish the edge properly.  I’ll need to tweak it a bit, but here it is, compared to one of my standard day-to-day hats (tan, on right).  But even with it’s many flaws, I’m pleased for a practice attempt.

Coasters, again

The earlier post on coasters was my test run.  Here are the ones I actually made,

 

Charrie’s Messenger Bag

And here is Charrie’s Messenger Bag:


Front


Front, open


Back


Back, open


Inside


Closer picture of the pockets and inside print


Charrie, modeling her new bag


View of the strap


Front, again


Front, open

Place-mats

Charrie and I made place-mats, learning how to use a 3-hole foot and pigtail to add the yarn border.  The front is a cotton fabric, with the back a flannel to be nice to wood tables.  The original materials list called for a fleece or a felt, but I could not find any that went with the fabric chosen.  No, they are not made for Christmas, just happened to be two different colors of common fabric that we liked.  Our instructor, Karrie, was gracious to embroider the Celtic cat’s paw for us.  Charrie did the red, I did the green.

 

Coaster!

We were working on our place-mats, in class tonight, but we only had one pigtail to run the yarn through for the border.  Since I had some time, I decided to try making a coaster that I originally saw at my Mom’s house.  Hers are circular or square, but you can make any number of shapes.  Regular shapes are probably the best.  The only site I can find with instructions are at: http://thecraftymummy.com/2013/11/simple-coasters-tutorial/

The ones my Mom made are a little different.  Starting at the bottom:

  1. One layer of fabric, face down.
  2. Layer of batting (optional)
  3. Layer of fabric, face up
  4. the 4 folder, over lapped pieces.

Sew a 1/4 inch seam around the outside.  Trim the corners  a bit to reduce the bulk, allowing it to lay flatter.  Turn inside out and press.

All pieces are the same size.  Mine are 6″, giving a 5.5″ coaster.   This one was my practice, now to make the ones I promised Charrie.  If you have it, I would use a walking foot, since there are so many layers.  Sorry for the glare, the surface I was using was a bit shiny.


Top


Bottom, showing the overlap


Inverted, showing the layers, after sewing and trimming.


Close up of the end, showing the various layers.

My First Sewing Project: Messenger Bag

Charrie and I are taking some sewing classes. She wants to learn quilting, but thought starting with some basic sewing would not be a bad idea. I have a little sewing experiance, but could use quite a bit if instruction, myself.

Our first project is a messenger bag (See & Sew Pattern B4583). I just finished mine tonight. Charrie will be done in our next class on Tuesday. I’ll post some pictures of her’s when its done.


Front, with flap closed


Front, flap open.


Back


Back, flap open


Inside


Better shot, showing pockets