Habits 1, 2, & 3 create the private victory, moving you from dependence to independence.
Habits 4, 5, & 6 create the public victory, moving you from independence to interdependence.
Habit 7 encircles the whole.
The Private Victory
Habit 1. Be pro-active (Principles of Personal Vision)
- Between stimulus and response, man has the freedom to choose.
- Act vs. be acted upon – The opposite of pro-active is reactive
- Listen to our language
- Take the initiative
- Responsible = response able
- Circle of Influence vs. Circle of Concern (see copies of diagrams, Covey p. 81 – 85)
Habit 2. Begin with the end in mind (Principles of Personal Leadership)
- Is the ladder of success leaning against the right wall?
- Everything is created twice
- Mission statements – Personal, family, corporate
- Identifying roles & goals
- Centers – see copies from Covey p. 119 – 124.
Habit 3. Put first things first (Principles of Personal Management)
- Time management matrix
- Principles of Interdependence
The Public Victory
The Emotional Bank Account plays an important role.
Habit 4. Think win-win. (Principles of Interpersonal Leadership)
6 Paradigms of Human Interaction
- Win/Win or No Deal
Habit 5. Seek first to understand, then to be understood. (Principles of Empathic Communication)
- Seek first to Understand, then to be Understood — or — Don’t prescribe before you diagnose!
- Use Empathic Listening
- Diagnose before you prescribe
- Don’t use autobiographical responses.
- This Habit is smack in the middle of your Circle of Influence!
Autobiographical responses are:
Habit 6. Synergy (Principles of Creative Cooperation)
- Definition of Synergy
- 1+1=3 or 4 or 100 or …
- It is the basis for Principled Centered Leadership
- Fish for the 3rd alternative
- Value differences! (IDIC)
Habit 7. Sharpen The Saw (Principles of Balanced Self-Renewal)
- Principle of Balanced Self-Renewal
- 4 Dimensions of Human Nature
- Physical (Exercise, Nutrition, Stress Management)
- Social/Emotional (Service, Empathy, Synergy, Intrinsic Security)
- Mental (Reading, visualizing, Planning, Writing)
- Spiritual (Value Clarification & Commitment, Study & Meditation)
- Balance in Renewal
- Synergy in Renewal
- Upward Spiral – Learn, Commit, Do, …