Did not like the steep arc on the pattern I found. Tore apart one of my old hats, similar to the tan one in my prior posting on hats and compared the pattern to the hat proportions I liked.
The brim pieces are 2 different sizes. The first two pictures are of one piece. Quite different. The third picture shows the other piece that almost matches the pattern.
The side piece is VERY different.
And the corresponding changes in the top piece. The back part is longer, to match the sharper and longer curve of the prior piece.
I’m planning on on creating a new pattern from the hat parts and build a second test hat.
I also found another free pattern at Urbandon. The arc looks like it’s also pretty steep, but there is nice information on sizing, fabric and construction.
Finally found a pattern I liked for a Driving cap. (https://aboutgoodness.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/mens-flat-cap-gatsby-hat-pattern-diy-tutorial/) Took some scrap cloth and threw one together. I was not particularly precise, nor did I have fabric for a lining or a ribbon to finish the edge properly. I’ll need to tweak it a bit, but here it is, compared to one of my standard day-to-day hats (tan, on right). But even with it’s many flaws, I’m pleased for a practice attempt.
Charrie and I made place-mats, learning how to use a 3-hole foot and pigtail to add the yarn border. The front is a cotton fabric, with the back a flannel to be nice to wood tables. The original materials list called for a fleece or a felt, but I could not find any that went with the fabric chosen. No, they are not made for Christmas, just happened to be two different colors of common fabric that we liked. Our instructor, Karrie, was gracious to embroider the Celtic cat’s paw for us. Charrie did the red, I did the green.